One of my favorite readings – today’s gospel from the book of John; I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. Those three words – way, truth, life – reflect who Jesus can be to every one of us.
There is only one way – Jesus’ way. I want to live as Jesus would have me live, because I want to go to heaven when I have finished my earthly journey. I want to be Christ to others; I want to turn the other cheek (that is a hard one) and I have to serve others in whatever capacity the Lord sees fit. I want to see my Father’s house at the end of this journey.
There is only one truth – that Jesus Christ is Lord, and he is our one saving grace. His words and actions should be reflected and shared through us to others. In trusting in him, we know that he will lead us to his truth, enabling us to see through the mess through which some have blurred the clear vision of truth.
There is only one life – a life sharing Jesus with others and living in a way that promotes his unending and beautiful love. And in living this life, I am reminded of the steps to grace that we can accomplish, enabling ourselves and others the chance of entering the gates of Heaven:
- to hear Christ’s words and put them into practice (Matthew 7:24)
- to believe in Him, and have an everlasting faith; for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him will have everlasting life
- to repent from our sins (Luke 5:31-32)
- to confess Christ to others (Matthew 10:32)
- to being baptized into Christ’s death, and living and sharing his Passion (Mark 16:15-16)
- to remember a constant commitment in presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, and acceptable to God (Romans 12:1-2)
May the peace of Christ be with you all!
Patty Masson supports the Passionists from Spring, Texas.