“We welcome all who wish to hear the message of the Passion, through our traditions of preaching, hospitality, and compassion.”
St. Paul of the Cross, the Founder of the Passionist Congregation, invited people to share his life, devotion, and spirituality of Christ crucified in order to better understand the immense love God has for us.
Mater Dolorosa has followed in the footsteps of St. Paul of the Cross since the first retreat in 1926 held under the shade of the majestic Moreton Bay Fig tree. The Passionists have welcomed all who wish to attend a Passionist-preached weekend retreat regardless of their ability to pay the requested donation.
This long-held tradition has been made possible by the generosity of retreatants and friends who are able to donate more than the requested donation and through fundraising efforts.
Scroll down to join the Mater Dolorosa Sponsorship Circle.
What Is The Sponsorship Circle?
The Sponsorship Circle is an annual donors’ club whose members, through their generosity, join with the Passionist Community in promoting and furthering the retreat ministry and the mission of Mater Dolorosa.
Who Are The Members?
Sponsorship Circle members are individuals or married couples who are retreatants or friends of Mater Dolorosa that desire to share in the retreat ministry by making an on-going financial commitment to this important work. Membership is for one year and coincides with the retreat center fiscal year of July 1 through June 30.
How Are The Proceeds Used?
Donations to the Sponsorship Circle are primarily used for the following reasons:
- To provide an opportunity for men and women who would benefit from a weekend retreat at Mater Dolorosa, but are unable to pay the recommended donation.
- To help cover the difference between the actual cost of a weekend retreat and the requested donation. Currently the cost per person of a weekend retreat is $240 and the requested donation is $215.
A formal Sponsorship Circle was established for the following reasons as well:
- To provide the opportunity of a retreat experience to underserved communities such as youth, high school seniors for Kairos retreats, young adults, married couples and seniors who do not have the resources to attend a retreat.
- To develop and offer more programs at Mater Dolorosa in such a beautiful and serene environment.
- To recognize all those who are able to support the important ministry and mission that takes place on the sacred grounds of Mater Dolorosa.
When Was the Sponsorship Circle Established?
The Sponsorship Circle was established in 2013 as a formal giving program. However, throughout the years Mater Dolorosa has been blessed by the generosity of retreatants and friends who have contributed to our long-standing tradition of welcoming all who wish to attend a weekend retreat regardless of their ability to pay the recommended donation.
What Are the Benefits Of Membership?
The most important benefit of membership is the knowledge that your contribution is being used to further the retreat ministry and mission of Mater Dolorosa.
- Weekly remembrances in Masses and prayers.
- An annual Mass and reception in honor of all Sponsorship Circle members.
- Each new Sponsorship Circle member receives a Sponsorship Circle pin.
- Sponsorship Circle members receive recognition at weekend retreats.
What Are The Obligations Of Membership?
Members of the Sponsorship Circle agree to donate $100 or more a year in addition to their retreat weekend donation and to remember the Passionist retreat work in prayer.
What Are The Sponsorship Circle Levels Of Giving?
There are six levels of giving in the Sponsorship Circle:
- Donor Level $100 to $249.99
- Sponsor Level $250 to $499.99
- Patron Level $500 to $999.99
- Ambassador Level $1,000 to $2,499.99
- Advocate Level $2,500 to $4,999.99
- Steward Level $5,000 or more
Are Sponsorship Circle Donations Tax Deductible?
Yes, all donations to the Sponsorship Circle are tax deductible as charitable contributions.
Can Sponsorship Circle Donations Be Made In Payments?
Yes, Sponsorship Circle donations can be spread throughout the year at your convenience. Acceptable payments are MasterCard, Visa, Cash or Check and can be made by calling the retreat center, via mail or through our secure website. We do not send reminders, but we will keep accurate records of your payments. Membership is for one year and coincides with the retreat center fiscal year of July 1 through June 30.
How Can I Join The Sponsorship Circle?
Membership in the Sponsorship Circle is available to anyone interested in the Passionist retreat ministry and mission at Mater Dolorosa. We have three convenient ways for you to join: online, by phone or mail:
Scroll down to join Mater Dolorosa’s Sponsorship Circle
- Call the Development Office at 626-355-7188.
- Download and mail our form: Ways to Give Donor Form